|Collection Name||RG4064 Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. Railroad Structures|
|Size and Materials||1 folder; 10 items|
|Title||Burlington and Missouri River Railroad. Railroad Structures collection|
|Date or Date Span||1884-1907|
|Year Range from||1884|
|Year Range to||1907|
The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad was incorporated in Illinois in 1864. Backed by a group of Boston investors, the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy was interested in financing the growth and development of short lines in the west for eventual absorption into the main line as the latter moved westward.
For this purpose, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Company in Nebraska was incorporated under a Nebraska State Charter in 1869. Construction from Plattsmouth to Lincoln began in July, 1869. Over the course of the next twenty years, the Burlington continued laying track in Nebraska so that, ultimately, the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy operated about 2870 miles of track in Nebraska, the most mileage of any carrier in the state.
In order to provide telegraphic communication and refueling points, the railroad required manned stations every eight to twelve miles. At the peak of Burlington operations in Nebraska, there were over 730 such stations across the state.
|Level of description||Fonds/Coll|
|Scope & Content||This collection consists of one oversized folder containing ten drawings. The drawings are of buildings and structures built by the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad in Nebraska. The drawings in this series are copies taken from the original vellum or linen produced by the railroad.|
Architectural drawings -- Nebraska
Architecture -- Nebraska
Box Butte County (Neb.)
Bridge construction -- Nebraska
Buffalo County (Neb.)
Burlington and Missouri River Railroad
Cass County (Neb.)
Furnas County (Neb.)
Gage County (Neb.)
Railroads -- Buildings and structures
Red Cloud (Neb.)
Richardson County (Neb.)
Webster County (Neb.)