Museum logo
Museum logo

Archive Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Object ID RG0824.AM
Collection RG0824 Niobrara River Power Project (Valentine, Neb.)
Object Name Business records
Extent of Description 1 item
Title Niobrara River Power Project (Valentine, Neb.) report, 1909
Dates of Creation 1909
Date 1909
Admin/Biographical History On May 13, 1909, Mr. C.H. Cornell of Valentine, Nebraska, contracted the Kansas City, Missouri, engineering firm of W.K. Palmer Company to survey a site near the confluence of the Niobrara and Minnechuduza Rivers, and to prepare a report and drawings of a possible dam and power generating plant at that site. The dam and plant were built around 1915, although not to the sale suggested by the 1909 report. They were operated as a private utility until the early 1940s, when Nebraska adopted public power districts statewide. The Nebraska Public Power District operated the structures, called the Cornell Dam and Niobrara Hydroelectric Generating Station, until 1985. In 1986, the public power district turned the land and structures over to the United States Department of the Interior, and they became part of the Fort Niobrara National Wildlife Refuge.
Level of description Fonds/Coll
Scope & Content This collection consists of a single bound report, submitted to C. H. Cornell by the W. K. Palmer Company in November 1909. It includes sections on the Niobrara River, design of the proposed dam and power station, specifications, financial estimates, and accompanying charts and drawings.
Finding Aids Niobrara RIver Power Project finding aid
Subjects Water power
Dam construction
Public utility companies
People Cornell, Charles Hiram, 1854-1927
Search Terms Niobrara River Power Project (Valentine, Neb.)
Public power -- Nebraska
Public utilities -- Nebraska
Valentine (Neb.)
Water power