|Collection Name||RG1075 Wesley Foundation|
|Size and Materials||4.25 cu.ft.; 5 boxes|
|Title||Wesley Foundation records|
|Date or Date Span||1924-1971|
|Year Range from||1924|
|Year Range to||1971|
In an effort to care for the religious life of the University of Nebraska students, a cooperative plan was developed whereby different denominational groups could appoint a representative to work on campus. The ministry to the Methodist students began on the University campus in 1913 when the first student pastor, Reverend Evans A. Worthley, was appointed.
In May 1922, the area Methodist Bishop, Homer C. Stentz and the University pastor committee formally organized and incorporated the Wesley Foundation of Nebraska under the laws of Nebraska with a board of trustees. The objective of the Foundation was the promotion of a vital religious life and programs among the Methodist students and professors at the University.
In 1923, a plan contemplating a proposed series of buildings composing the Wesley Foundation was initiated; however, only the first unit, a parsonage, was completed in June 1924. This unit served not only as a residence for the director but also as a Methodist student focal point since funds were not available for a student center. In 1940 the parsonage became the social and religious center of the Methodist student body when an off-campus residence was acquired for the director.
With the program growing, with several new church groups created and an increasing student body, the Wesley Foundation needed more building facilities. Thus in 1958, the Nebraska Annual Conference authorized capital expansion funds for a new Student Center was dedicated at its new location of 640 N. 16th Street.
|Scope & Content||
This collection consists of fifteen boxes of manuscript material arranged in seven series: (1) Minister-Director Correspondence, 1961-1971; (2) Board of Trustee Files, 1958-1971; (3) Topical Files, 1959-1970; (4) Financial Records, 1924-1967; (5) Sermons and Speeches, 1963 and 1967; (6) Printed Matter, 1962-1969; and (7) Miscellany.
The collection relates to the activities of the Wesley Foundation at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln and the bulk of the material consists of the Minister-Director correspondence, 1961-1971. Included in the Board of Trustee files are reports, budget proposals, minutes, and correspondence. These records indicate the policy-making responsibilities of the Board. The topical files contain data relating to various organizations, conferences, seminars, meetings, etc. Included among these files are preparatory data, programs, correspondence, reports, etc. There is a small amount of financial data which primarily reflects the early building activities of the Foundation.
|Finding Aids||Wesley Foundation finding aid|
Church & education
Methodist Church in Nebraska
United Methodist Church -- Nebraska
University of Nebraska - Lincoln