|Collection Name||RG0766 Washington County (Neb.) Time Capsule|
|Size and Materials||1 envelope|
|Title||Washington County (Neb.) Time Capsule|
|Date or Date Span||1889|
On December 13, 1889, the cornerstone was laid for a new courthouse in Washington County, Nebraska. Placed in the stone was a time capsule, a tin box filled with mementoes of the occasion as well as documents relating to life in Washington County in 1889.
One hundred years later, residents of Washington County celebrated the centennial of their courthouse. As part of the celebration, the contents of the time capsule were retrieved from the cornerstone on June 18th and displayed during Gateway to the West and Washington County Courthouse Days.
|Level of description||Fonds/Coll|
|Scope & Content||This collection is arranged in one series: 1) Time Capsule, 1889. Included are photocopies of documents found in the Washington County Time Capsule on June 18, 1989 when the contents were retrieved from the courthouse cornerstone. Among the 100-year old items were histories and membership lists of various church, fraternal, social, and ethic organizations found in Washington County in 1889; lists of county officials in 1889 and probate judges during 1855-1889; and an invitation and program for the laying of the corner stone, as well as the oratory given by Lorenzo Crounse at the ceremony.|
Crounse, Lorenzo, 1834-1909
Washington County (Neb.) -- History
Washington County (Neb.) -- Churches