|Collection||RG0789 Brininstool, Earl Alonzo, 1870-1957|
|Object Name||Personal papers|
|Extent of Description||3 folders|
|Title||Earl Alonzo Brininstool papers|
|Dates of Creation||1929-1942|
|Year Range from||1929|
|Year Range to||1942|
|Admin/Biographical History||Born in New York in 1870, E.A. Brininstool spent most of is professional life in Los Angeles, California. He was a prolific author of books and articles on the Indian Wars. He died July 28th, 1957.|
|Level of description||Fonds/Coll|
|Scope & Content||
The collection consists of correspondence, manuscripts and articles relating to Earl Alonzo Brininstool. The correspondence is between Brininstool and Addison E. Sheldon of the Nebraska State Historical Society, and the letters date from 1929-1935. The bulk of the correspondence is in regard to the editing and publication of various manuscripts by Brininstool.
Some of the articles and manuscripts include such titles as:
1. "The Hero of the Arickaree: Personal experience of John Hurst of Forsyth's Scouts at the Battle of Beecher Island."
2. "The Legend of Crow Butte by Dr. Anna Cross."
3. "Clippings about Crazy Horse."
4. "Story of Gen. Jesse M. Lee."
5. "When Oklahoma Was Wild."
6. "Major Reno Vindicated: An Interesting Analysis Justifying His Conduct of the Fight in the River Bottom and Timber, During the Battle of the Little Big Horn, June 25-26, 1876, Commonly Referred to as "Custer's Last Fight." (With Comments by E.A. Brininstool)
7. "Strategic Return of the Dull Knife Band of Cheyenne Indians Which Resulted in Their Death in 1879."
8. "The Fetterman Massacre: One of the Greatest Tragedies in the History of Fort Phil Kearny.
|Creator||Brininstool, Earl Alonzo, 1870-1957|
|Other Creators||Sheldon, Addison Erwin, 1861-1943|
|Related units of description||
See the photo component [RG0789.PH] for related images.
See the NSHS Library Catalog for various publications by E.A. Brininstool.
Additional papers held at the University of Texas at Austin:
Indians of North America
Frontier & pioneer life
Brininstool, Earl Alonzo, 1870-1957
Crazy Horse, ca. 1840-1877
Fetterman, William Judd, 1833?-1866
Hurst, John, 1841-1920
Lee, Jesse M., 1843-1926
Reno, Marcus Albert, 1834-1889
Sheldon, Addison Erwin, 1861-1943
Fort Phil Kearny (Wyo.) -- History
Crow Butte (Neb.)