|Object Name||Collection, Photograph|
|Collection Name||RG1331 United Service Organization (Lincoln, Nebraska)|
|Title||United Service Organization (Lincoln, Neb.)|
On April 17, 1941, six national agencies -- the International Committee of Young Men's Christian Associations, the National Board of Young Women's Christian Associations, the National Catholic Community Service, The Salvation Army, the National Jewish Welfare Board, and the National Travelers Aid Association -- held organizational meetings for the national United Service Organization. On October 19, 1942, a chapter was opened in Lincoln, Nebraska. Between that time and its closing on November 15, 1945, nearly three million service people and their dependants used the facility.
Activities sponsored by the organization included a food and information service at the Burlington Depot, a "home away from home" facility located in the Rudge and Guenzel building at 13th and "N" Streets, and a volunteer service that found homes for military dependants and social activities for service personnel and their families.
The close of the Second World War saw the end of the active service of the Lincoln Army Air Field, and with it the end for the need of the U.S.O. Many of the services offered by this organization were taken over by the Lincoln Community Chest.
|Date Range from||1941|
|Date Range to||1945|
Antelope Park (Lincoln, Neb.)
University of Nebraska Coliseum
North Platte Canteen
North Platte (Neb.)