Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 10768-90
Title Program, Lincoln Monument 100th Anniversary Celebration and Rededication
Object Name Program
Description Four page program for the Lincoln Monument 100th Anniversary Celebration and Rededication. The outside cover is a single folded sheet of light gray heavy weight paper. A single sheet of folded white paper creates the four page interior. The sheets of paper are fastened by two metal staples along the fold. All text is in capital letters. Aside from color images on page four, all print is black.
The front cover displays a side-view drawing of the Lincoln statue on its granite pedestal, granite backdrop, and eagle statue. Text includes the event's title, date and location, as well as funding sources in the lower right corner. The content of all interior pages (including the front and back inside covers) is bounded by a thick rectangular text box; at the top of each page is an image of the eagle statue drawing. The inside cover provides a written history of the monument. Page one contains two images from the 1912 dedication. Pages two and three provide the event's schedule including a program in the capital and a rededication at the outdoor monument. Page four provides two color images of the Lincoln Monument. Both are from the same view, one is from 1912, the other from 2012. The inside back cover gives "Special Thanks To:" a list of all groups involved. The back cover provides information about the Nebraska Capitol Commission as well as lists of members (and their titles) of the Nebraska Capitol Commission and the Capitol Environs Commission.
Date 2012
Material paper, ink, metal (staples)
Height (in) 8.5
Width (in) 5.5
People Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
Event Lincoln Monument 100th Anniversary Celebration and Rededication
History From http://capitol.org/files/sower/2012-06-Sower.pdf:
In 1903 the Nebraska Legislature created the Abraham Lincoln Centennial Memorial Association of Nebraska. In 1908 the A.L.C.M.A. of N. began their work to commission a sculptor and create a fitting monument to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Lincoln’s birth. Nebraska’s Lincoln Monument, designed by sculptor Daniel Chester French and
architect Henry Bacon, was dedicated on September 2, 1912. Ten years later, in 1922, as Nebraskans were beginning construction of their third Capitol, French and Bacon’s more famous Lincoln Memorial was being completed on the National Mall in Washington D.C.
The Office of the Capitol Commission, with funding in part by the Nebraska Humanities Council and the Nebraska Cultural Endowment, celebrated the 100th anniversary of the dedication of
Nebraska’s Lincoln Monument with a program and ceremony on September 2, 2012. The public was invited to attend and help recognize this major piece of American sculpture and celebrate the monumental achievement of the Abraham Lincoln Centennial Memorial
Association of Nebraska.
Collection Ireland, Lynne M.