|Title||Envelope; Dr. Wilmeth, Surgeon, Esther's Hospital|
|Description||Plain white paper envelope with a blue tinted photographic image in the return address section. The image depicts a large victorian house with a tower, gabled roof, and large wraparound porch. A group of people (possibly four women and one man) sit on the front staircase. Beneath the image blue lettering reads "Dr. Wilmeth / Surgeon to Esther's Hospital / Office In Little Building / Lincoln, Nebraska."|
|Year Range from||1910|
|Year Range to||1928|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska (Lancaster), Lincoln|
Wilmeth, Frank Lincoln, 1862-1928
Esther's Hospital, Lincoln, Nebraska
Frank L. Wilmeth was born in Salem, Iowa on August 19, 1862 to William Harrison and Esther Connor Wilmeth. He graduated from Lincoln Medical College in 1894 and practiced for four years in Eagle, NE. He came to Lincoln in 1898 as superindent of the medical college and established Esther's Hospital in a residential house at 609 S. 17th Street (on the corner of 17th and J). The hospital operated until 1928.
Wilmeth married Jessie Drummond in 1889 and the couple had four children. Dr. Wilmeth died on September 13, 1928 and is buried in Wyuka Cemetery in Lincoln.
The house itself was built in the late 1880s by Charles and Anna Hammond, who lived in it until about 1907. After Dr. Wilmeth's death, the house was used for a variety of purposes. It was eventually demolished, probably in the late 1930s. An apartment building replaced the house and today the lot is mainly empty.
|Credit line||John E. Carter, Lincoln, NE|
|Collection||Carter, John E.|
|Relation||Show Related Records...|