|Title||Certificate, Stock; Burlington Missouri River Railroad Co., Solomon B. Stone, 1872|
|Object Name||Certificate, Stock|
Stock certificate (No. 1,614) for 100 shares of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Co. in Nebraska made out to Solomon B. Stone and dated February 17, 1872. Signed by the company treasurer and president, though their signatures are obscured by three punchholes each. Oval engraving of a train traveling along a track next to a river at upper center. On the reverse is a form transferring the stock to Lee Higginson & Co. (80 shares) and Wm. J. Pollock (20 shares) dated June 20, 1872. Witnessed by Terence (?) Trask.
On each side is a blue 25 cent U.S. Internal Revenue stamp. A hand stamp over the tax stamp on the reverse reads "Trask & Stone / June 20 1872 / New York, NY." The certificate is now flat, but originally it was folded in thirds.
|Made||Henry Seibert & Bros.|
|Place of Origin||USA: New York, New York|
Stone, Solomon B.
Pollock, William J.
Burlington & Missouri River Railroad
Burlington & Missouri River Railroad Company in Nebraska
The Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad was incorporated in Illinois in 1864. Backed by a group of Boston investors, the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy was interested in financing the growth and development of short lines in the west for eventual absorption into the main line as the latter moved westward. For this purpose, the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad Company in Nebraska was incorporated under a Nebraska State Charter in 1869. Construction from Plattsmouth to Lincoln began in July, 1869. During the summer of 1870, it reached Lincoln, the newly designated capital of Nebraska, and by 1872 it reached Kearney. Over the course of the next twenty years, the Burlington continued laying track in Nebraska so that, ultimately, the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy operated about 2,870 miles of track in Nebraska, the most mileage of any carrier in the state.
The first internal revenue (or tax) stamps were issued in the U.S. in 1862 after excise taxes were imposed on a variety of goods in order to finance the Civil War. Propriety stamps taxed manufactured goods, while Documentary stamps taxed a variety of legal and financial transactions. The 25 cent stamps on this certificate are of an 1871 issue. The excise taxes were repealed in 1883, when the $2.7 billion debt generated by the war was finally paid off.
|Credit line||John E. Carter, Lincoln, NE|
|Collection||Carter, John E.|