|Title||Cap, Military, Chapeaux, Nebraska National Guard, Joseph Snyder LeHew|
|Object Name||Cap, Military|
|Description||Black Dress hat, staff officer's. Long and narrow, sits on head so longest side can be seen from the front. Folds flat for storage. COLORS: black with gold decoration. Hand constructed and sewn. Gold braid and gilded epaulette style escutcheon on "front" with eagle and eagle button.|
|Year Range from||1865|
|Year Range to||1895|
|Material||Fake fur, silk, leather, satin, gold, brass|
|Made||Pettibone Mfg. Co.|
|Place of Origin||USA: Ohio, Cincinnatti|
|Inscription Text||"Pettibone Mfg. Co. Society, Military and Band Goods, 268 and 270 Main St., Cin. O." in a shield|
LeHew, Joseph Snyder
|Other Name||Hat, Men's, Military|
Used by Col. Joseph Snyder LeHew, Nebraska National Guard, ca. 1885.
Ohio native Joseph LeHew and his family arrived in Nebraska in 1872 coming from Ohio, settling on a homestead near Grafton before moving to Sutton. Mr. LeHew was appointed County Judge when Fillmore County, Nebraska was organized, and was known as Judge LeHew. He was admitted to the Bar in 1875. He was 1st Lt. of the first organized and equipped militia in Nebraska, which was called the "Governor's Guard." Later Gov. Nance appointed him to draft a military code for the State, and his code was adopted by the legislature in 1881. He was appointed Major and Advocate General on Gov. Nance's staff, and served nine years under different governors. He was promoted to the rank of colonel by Gov. Boyd. Judge LeHew was an elector who carried the Electoral ballots to Washington, D.C. when McKinley was elect President. He was instrumental in organizing the McCook Public Library. Judge and Mrs. Joseph LeHew and family moved to McCook in 1886. Continued in the "Notes" section on page 2.
|Credit line||Mrs. E. Sanderson, Osceola, Iowa|
|Collection||Sanderson, Mrs. E.|