|Title||Truck, Patriot, 1919; Lincoln Model|
Lincoln Model Patriot Truck. 1 1/2 Ton, 3 Speed, 3200 lbs.
The truck has a three-speed transmission and a hand-cranked, 22.5 horsepower, 4-cylinder, Continental engine. It is water colon on the thermosiphon principle. A Stewart vacuum system draws gas from a tank under the seat to a Stromberg updraft carburetor. A Bosch magnet fires the spark plugs. A Prest-O-Lite tank on the left running board supplied acetylene to 10-inch headlamps.
|Year Range from||1918|
|Year Range to||1919|
|Material||steel, metal, wood|
|Made||A.G. Hebb Auto Company|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska (Lancaster), Havelock|
PATRIOT, LINCOLN MODEL
On front radiator: 5 stars each side of word patriot
A.G. Hebb Auto Company
|Other Name||Truck, Patriot|
This Patriot truck was manufactured by A.G. Hebb Auto Company. It is a Lincoln Model that was probably manufactured in late 1918 or early 1919.
The top speed was 18 miles per hour and it could get 15 miles per gallon. In 1918, the cost without the wooden body was $2,150. The truck was made in a variety of colors from Brewster green to a combination of a red frame, gray fenders, and a green cab.
The Hebb Auto Company had five locations in Lincoln The first factory was at 12th and the others were at 10th and Vine, 26th and X, and in Havelock (the site eventually became Goodyear). The company manufactured Patriot Trucks from 1918 to about 1924. They also supplied truck bodies for other companies, including Ford and Chevrolet.
A.G. Hebb formed the A.G. Hebb Auto Company in 1913 and it was incorporated in 1916. The business began by building delivery bodies for other trucks. In 1918 the company was incorporated as Hebb Motors Company. They began manufacturing Patriot trucks that year.
By 1920, the company was struggling, and it was reincorporated as Patriot Motors Company. Later, there was a claim that Patriot Motors failed to fully take over Hebb motors, and on November 17, 1920 three creditors filed a petition asked that they both be declared bankrupt. By 1921 no reorganization plan was forthcoming and plans were put in place to auction the factory, grounds, and equipment on June 23, 1921. William H. Ferguson won the plant for a bid of $110,000 and bought the 29 warehoused trucks for $5,000.00. According to the Lincoln Star, Ferguson was acting for a group of creditors who planned to reopen the plant. Ferguson became vice president and William E. Hardy, president. They began making trucks under the name Patriot Manufacturing.
In 1924,Woods Bros. (Mark and George Woods) acquired controlling interest in Patriot Motors and it was reorganized with new officers and directors. They kept the company name but changed the name of the truck to Woods, beginning with the model 1927. Bodies, however, were still made under the Patriot name until 1948.
By 1929, Patriot Manufacturing was a division of Arrow Aircraft and Motors Corporations (also owned by Woods). The last Woods truck made by Patriot Motors was made in late 1932. The company was renamed Patriot Body Company in 1941, and in 1943, they moved from Havelock to 10th and Vine. They made moving van bodies, livestock racks and refrigerated bodies for local dairies. A fire destroyed their building at 10th and Vine on January 24, 1948.
|Credit line||NSHS FOUNDATION, LINCOLN, NE|