Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 11055-1340
Title Can, Food Storage; Frozen Eggs, Fairmont Creamery Co., Omaha
Object Name Can, Food Storage
Description Cylindrical metal can with shallow lid. Blue emblem on side reads "-A-C- [FANCY] / FAIRMONT'S / Frozen Fresh / EGGS / Net. Weight 30 Ibs / Packed By / The Fairmont Creamery Co. / General Offices - Omaha, Nebr. / Copyrighted 19--." Banner design extends from emblem around each side of can. Logo at both ends of banner design read "Fairmont's Better / Food Products."
Year Range from 1904
Year Range to 1947
Material Metal/Paint
Made Fairmont Creamery Company
Place of Origin USA: Nebraska (Douglas), Omaha
Used USA: Nebraska
Height (in) 13
Width (in) 10
Diameter (in) 10
Search Terms Fairmont Creamery Company
History Fairmont Foods was originally founded as the Fairmont Creamery at Fairmont, Nebraska in 1884. The creamery's first product was butter. By 1891 the 100 employees made 7,000 pounds of butter daily. In the 1890s the company operated plants in Crete, Tobias, Friend, DeWitt, Fairbury, Geneva, Milford, and Hebron. It was a pioneer in milk can pickup and was one of the first creameries to give farmers their own hand cream separators in its early years. The business grew fast and the general offices left Fairmont for Omaha in 1904. In 1929 it was incorporated and began to diversify its product lines to include frozen foods, cheese and poultry products.

The Fairmont Creamery was renamed Fairmont Foods in 1948 which reflected the corporation's diversification. At one time it was a Fortune 500 Company and it earned a seat on the New York Stock Exchange in 1959. The 21 years from 1959-1980 brought even broader diversification to Fairmont Foods. The corporation began to produce food products like chicken, pies, potato chips, soda, dips and frozen pizza.

In 1975 the corporation was moved to Houston, Texas when its U-TOTEM convenience store subsidiary became more profitable than the food products divisions. In 1980 Fairmont Foods merged with a subsidiary of American Financial Corporation of Cincinnati, Ohio. From 1980-1984 all of Fairmont Foods properties and subsidiaries were either sold or progressively closed.

For more information see RG4218.AM: Fairmont Foods Company (Omaha, Neb.) in the NSHS archives.
Credit line Nebraska State Historical Society Permanent Collection
Collection NSHS Permanent Collection
Notes on Related Objects RG4218.AM: Fairmont Foods Company (Omaha, Neb.)