|Title||Carving, Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club, Keats Lorenz|
Large, round relief carving with an Indian head profile at center against a gold backdrop. Gold painted lettering inside a black border read "KIWANIS CLUB / LINCOLN NEBRASKA." Above the central figure carved lettering reads "WE BUILD." At lower center is a round metal inset with the Kiwanis emblem of a capital letter "K" against a blue backdrop. Around the edge raised lettering reads "KIWANIS CLUB / INTERNATIONAL."
At upper center is a small, rectangular brass plaque that reads "Designed and Presented in 1923 / By Fred Groth Chartered Member / Carved By Keats Lorenz." On the reverse are two large metal hanging hooks.
Lorenz, Keats W., 1889-1966
The coin was designed and presented by Fred Groth, a 1919 charter member of the club. After completing the design, Fred made arrangements with Keats Lorenz to make the carving. Selecting Mr. Lorenz to do the carving in 1923 was an excellent choice as he was also chosen to carve the doors at the Nebraska State Capitol.
The Indian head on the carving is of significance as the name "Kiwanis" was coined from the Ojibwe language. The word "giiwanizi" was selected and according to etymology experts, that word in the Ojibwe language meant to "fool around." The word was translated by others to "nin Kiwanis" and the organization founders came up with the longstanding motto of "We Build." The "We Build" motto served for a great many years until 2005, when Kiwanis International adopted a new motto: "Serving the Children of the World." -- Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club
|Credit line||Lincoln Center Kiwanis Club|