|Description||Umbrella assessory for Terri Lee doll. Wooden handle connected to metal pole and spokes. Covering made of read, white, and blue silk. Machine made.|
|Year Range from||1946|
|Year Range to||1962|
|Material||metal, wood, silk|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska, Lincoln|
Terri Lee dolls were created by Lincoln, Nebraska, housewife Violet Lee Gradwohl in 1946. During World War II, she worked with Girl Scouts to repair used dolls to be distributed to less-fortunate children in the area, and she decided that most dolls were constructed poorly. Mrs. Gradwohl created her own doll specifically designed to outlast dolls that lost eyes and easily broke fingers. Manufacturing centers for the dolls began in Lincoln, Nebraska, before spreading to California. The original line of dolls ceased production in 1962.
The dolls were named after Mrs. Gradwohl's own daughter, Terri Lee, who retained the rights to the mold and colors of the doll. Terri Lee Associates was created with the help of Mrs. Gradwohl's nephew, Fritz Duda, to relaunch Terri Lee dolls.
|Credit line||Cynthia H. Hischke, Lincoln, Nebraska|
|Collection||Hischke, Cynthia H.|