Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 7291-3
Title Table, Center; Victorian, Marble Top
Object Name Table, Center
Description Wooden cabriole leg table with a cartouche shaped white marble top. The curve of each leg is carved with a grape bunch. The legs are joined by four carved stretchers topped with a peaked finial in the center. Four casters.
Year Range from 1840
Year Range to 1865
Material Wood/Metal/Marble
Place of Origin USA: Missouri (St. Louis), St. Louis
Used USA: Nebraska (Nemaha), Brownville
Height (in) 28.5
Length (in) 32.5
Width (in) 23
People Carson, John Lind, 1832-1897
History John L. Carson (1832-1897), one of Nebraska's leading nineteenth century financiers, played an important role in the history of Nebraska. Carson moved to Brownville, Nebraska Territory in 1857 and opened the First National Bank of Brownville. When the Civil War began in 1861, Carson enlisted in the Union army and he was made a captain in the commissary department. He returned to Brownville to marry Mary Masters on March 13, 1863. In 1864 Carson and his wife purchased the Brownville home of Richard Brown, the town's founder. The native-brick home was small by the standards of the town at that time. It included a parlor and two small bedrooms on the first floor and a kitchen in the basement. The furniture in the Carson Collection was purchased in St. Louis and brought up the Missouri River by steamboat in 1864.
Credit line Miss Rose Carson, Lincoln (Lancaster), Nebraska
Collection Carson, Rose