|Title||Chair, Swivel; Desk 7291-23|
|Object Name||Chair, Swivel|
|Description||Honey colored wooden chair with light tan cane seat and back. Four arched legs connect to metal swivel mechanism on underside of seat. Curved armrests reinforced with metal dowels. Arched top rail with fan design on seat back.|
|Year Range from||1864|
|Year Range to||1900|
|Place of Origin||USA: Missouri (St. Louis), St. Louis|
|Used||USA: Nebraska (Nemaha), Brownville|
Carson, John Lind, 1832-1897
John L. Carson (1832-1897), one of Nebraska's leading nineteenth century financiers, played an important role in the history of Nebraska. Carson moved to Brownville, Nebraska Territory in 1857 and opened the First National Bank of Brownville. When the Civil War began in 1861, Carson enlisted in the Union army and he was made a captain in the commissary department. He returned to Brownville to marry Mary Masters on March 13, 1863.
In 1864 Carson and his wife purchased the Brownville home of Richard Brown, the town's founder. The native-brick home was small by the standards of the town at that time. It included a parlor and two small bedrooms on the first floor and a kitchen in the basement. The furniture in the Carson Collection was purchased in St. Louis and brought up the Missouri River by steamboat in 1864.
|Credit line||Miss Rose Carson, Lincoln (Lancaster), Nebraska|