|Title||Menu; Peony Park, Omaha, Nebraska|
Menu has a predominately red, black, white, and gray cover depicting two dancing couples and several waitresses holding trays. Heading reads "Peony Park / Royal Grove & Terrace / Menu" in red, black, and white lettering. Banner through center reads "We Serve With Music." Several peony flowers clustered behind the banner. "25th Anniversary" at lower proper left.
Back cover contains several black and white images of Peony Park against a red and green backdrop. Main menu inside lists sundaes and sandwiches on one side and beverages on the opposite page. Image of a Metz beer bottle, with a U.S. war bonds label, in the center. Beneath the bottle white lettering reads "No Spiking Allowed."
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska (Douglas), Omaha|
|Used||USA: Nebraska (Douglas), Omaha|
Peony Park was established by the Malec brothers in 1919 as a gas station and roadside cafe and eventually became Nebraska's largest amusement park. A swimming pool was added in 1926. With the addition of several entertainment venues, including Royal Grove & Terrace, it became even more popular. Several famous names of the Big Band era performed at Peony Park and, in the 1930s, it became the headquarters of the Lawrence Welk Band.
Though it was originally built outside the Omaha city limits, at 78th and Cass Streets, the city annexed the land in 1958. The name Peony Park is derived from its location, across the street from Peony Gardens.
The park gained some notoriety due to the fact that the swimming pool was strictly segregated until 1963. Although the Malecs had been taken to court at least once before, it took a series of protests by youth activists to eventually end the practice.
Peony Park began a downward slide in the 1970s. Roller coaster type amusement rides were added in an attempt to keep up with the competition. Throughout the 1980s, a series of teen dance parties hosted by a popular local DJ were held weekly. Despite these additions, Peony Park closed its doors in 1994. The land is now occupied by a shopping center.
|Credit line||John E. Carter, Lincoln, NE|
|Collection||Carter, John E.|