|Title||Crate, R.B.C. Brand Salmon, Packed for Raymond Bros. Clarke Co.|
Wooden crate for R.B.C Brand Fancy Salmon, distributed by Raymond Brothers, Clarke Company, Lincoln/Scottsbluff.
Small wooden crate (20"x13") with paper label glued to side. There is an image of a jumping salmon. It is nailed together at the corners. "4 doz" is painted at the top corner of the side.
|Year Range from||1897|
|Year Range to||1950|
|Material||wood, paper, metal|
|Made||Raymond Bros., Clarke Co.|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska (Lancaster), Lincoln; USA: Nebraska (Scotts Bluff), Scottsbluff|
Clarke, George H.
Raymond Bros. Clarke Co.
Packing box form Raymond Bros. Clarke Co., Lincoln, NE.
Isaac M. and Aaron S. Raymond founded the Raymond Brothers Company, Lincoln’s first
wholesale grocery business, on January 11, 1872. It was first located at the southeast corner of 11th and "P" Streets. The company’s volume of business soon reached $110,000.
Exactly ten years after its founding, Raymond Brothers Co. admitted two of its employees,
George H. Clarke and T.F. Lasch into partnership. By this time, 1882, the company distributed products all over Nebraska and into northwest Kansas. In 1886, Raymond Brothers built a new four-story, 40,000 square foot building at the southeast corner of 8 th and "O" Streets. Around this time, Lasch left the firm.
In 1897, Aaron S. Raymond left the company to help form the Lincoln Drug Company.
Raymond Brothers then became the Raymond Brothers Clarke Company. Its articles of
incorporation, filed in 1897, showed that the firm had a capitalization of $280,000. The business was headquartered in Lincoln, with a branch in Deadwood, South Dakota. This branch was later moved to Scottsbluff, Nebraska. By 1900, Raymond Brothers Clarke Company was one of the largest wholesale grocery firms in the Midwest. It boasted fifty employees and fifteen traveling salesmen serving Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, and South Dakota.
Sons of Isaac M. Raymond, one of the original founders, continued to run the business after his death. In 1950, however, the company’s articles of incorporation were revised to allow the firm to enter other fields of business. A year later the company was no longer in the wholesale grocery field. Liquidation of its stock was completed in 1951. A year earlier the Scottsbluff
warehouse had been sold to the Nash-Finch Company of Minneapolis. The merchandise from
the Lincoln warehouse was cleared by the sale of items to local customers.
This particular shipping crate was used for the transportation of Salted Salmon by the Raymond Brothers Clarke Company. Listed to contain 1 pound of Salmon and 1-4 oz of Salt with 4 Dozen Salmon / 1 pound of Salmon.
|Collection||Nebraska State Historical Society General Collection|