|Title||Doll; Plastic; Girl; Terri Lee|
Terri Lee doll wearing Girl Scout Brownie uniform. Doll made of plastic. Face is painted on. Synthetic light brown hair. Brownie uniform is cotton with three metal snaps down the front. Belt loops suggest the belt is missing. Jointed at shoulders, neck, and hips. Machine made.
|Year Range from||1946|
|Year Range to||1962|
|Material||plastic, synthetic hair, paint, cotton, metal|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska, Lincoln|
Girl Scouts of America
This Terri Lee doll belonged to the sisters Sue and Louise Phillips.
Terri Lee dolls were created by Lincoln, Nebraska, housewife Violet Lee Gradwohl in 1946. During World War II, she worked with Girl Scouts to repair used dolls to be distributed to less-fortunate children in the area, and she decided that most dolls were constructed poorly. Mrs. Gradwohl created her own doll specifically designed to outlast dolls that lost eyes and easily broke fingers. Manufacturing centers for the dolls began in Lincoln, Nebraska, before spreading to California. The original line of dolls ceased production in 1962. Terri Lee Dolls were the first all-plastic dolls. The wigs were created specifically for these dolls so that they could be shampooed and curled by their owners.
The dolls were named after Mrs. Gradwohl's own daughter, Terri Lee, who retained the rights to the mold and colors of the doll. Terri Lee Associates was created with the help of Mrs. Gradwohl's nephew, Fritz Duda, to relaunch Terri Lee dolls.
|Credit line||Marilyn Ruff, Lincoln, Nebraska|