Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 7291-23
Title Desk, Slant Top, 1860s; Used by John Carson
Object Name Desk, Slant-Top
Description Slant top desk with green felt on the top. Light brown wood. Three drawers on the right and three drawers on the left. The drawers have round wood knobs. There is a larger drawer at the center with a lock. The desk has four spool legs that taper slightly toward the food. "1874" is written in pencil on the upper edge of the proper right upper drawer.
Date 1864
Material wood, textiles
Place of Origin USA: Missouri, St. Louis
Used USA: Nebraska (Nemaha), Brownville
Height (in) 33
Width (in) 52.25
Depth (in) 31.5
People Carson, John Lind, 1832-1897
History John L. Carson (1832-1897), one of Nebraska's leading nineteenth century financiers, played an important role in the history of Nebraska. Carson moved to Brownville, Nebraska Territory in 1857 and opened the First National Bank of Brownville. When the Civil War began in 1861, Carson enlisted in the Union army and he was made a captain in the commissary department. He returned to Brownville to marry Mary Masters on March 13, 1863. In 1864 Carson and his wife purchased the Brownville home of Richard Brown, the town's founder. The native-brick home was small by the standards of the town at that time. It included a parlor and two small bedrooms on the first floor and a kitchen in the basement. The furniture in the Carson Collection was purchased in St. Louis and brought up the Missouri River by steamboat in 1864.
Credit line Miss Rose Carson, Lincoln (Lancaster), Nebraska
Collection Carson, Rose