|Title||Menu; The Lone Oak, Lincoln, Nebraska|
|Description||Gray, tri-fold menu with black print. Panels fold together to form mailing label on one side. The opposite flat side has "The Lone Oak" in the center with "Recommended By / Duncan Hines" beneath. On the inside center panel is the main menu; with sections headed Dinners, Salads, and Drinks. Hours are listed on the proper right panel and the logo is repeated on the proper left panel.|
|Year Range from||1950|
|Year Range to||1958|
|Place of Origin||USA: Nebraska (Lancaster), Lincoln|
|Used||USA: Nebraska (Lancaster), Lincoln|
The Lone Oak
The Lone Oak was established in the 1930s five miles west of Lincoln, Nebraska on West O Street by Nola Bailey and Tom Bentley. When the original building burned down in 1944, it was replaced with a distinctive baled hay structure in a modern arts style. The restaurant ceased to exist after the 1958 deaths of the owners in a carbon monoxide accident.
After a legal battle between the heirs, the restaurant reopened in December 1958 as The One Oak. It closed again within a year. Several businesses went on to occupy the building over the next several decades; most noticeably The Elms, 1969-1976, and El Ranchito, 1978-1987. In 1990, the building was designated a Lancaster County Local Landmark. After El Ranchito vacated the space it was used primarily as a warehouse. It was demolished in 2012.
For more information on the history of The Lone Oak see the Spring 2006 issue of Nebraska History.
|Credit line||John E. Carter, Lincoln, NE|
|Collection||Carter, John E.|