Museum logo
Museum logo

Object Record

  • Email This Page
  • Send Feedback
Catalog Number 7291-5
Title Chair; Woman's
Object Name Chair
Description Maroon upholstered chair with curved wooden back and wooden arms. The back has tufted upholstery with two rows of buttons. The seat has plain maroon upholstery. There are two clusters of grapes and leaves carved into the curved wood back. The edges of the upholstery are trimmed with faceted brass tacks and a serpentine textile trim. There are ceramic casters on all four feet.
Date 1864
Material wood, fabric, metal (brass), ceramic
Used USA: Nebraska (Nemaha), Brownville
Height (in) 39
Width (in) 24
Depth (in) 22
People Carson, John Lind, 1832-1897
Search Terms Chair
History John L. Carson (1832-1897), one of Nebraska's leading nineteenth century financiers, played an important role in the history of Nebraska. Carson moved to Brownville, Nebraska Territory in 1857 and opened the First National Bank of Brownville. When the Civil War began in 1861, Carson enlisted in the Union army and he was made a captain in the commissary department. He returned to Brownville to marry Mary Masters on March 13, 1863. In 1864 Carson and his wife purchased the Brownville home of Richard Brown, the town's founder. The native-brick home was small by the standards of the town at that time. It included a parlor and two small bedrooms on the first floor and a kitchen in the basement. The furniture in the Carson Collection was purchased in St. Louis and brought up the Missouri River by steamboat in 1864.
Credit line Miss Rose Carson, Lincoln (Lancaster), Nebraska
Collection Carson, Rose